Thursday, September 1, 2011

Junnu/Kadambu

Hope many of us have heard this and have tasted this in our early childhood days. For those who have not tasted, it is a sweet which is made up of cow's first 3 days milk, after it gives birth. In my early childhood days, our paalkaramma used to give this and either my mom or my grandma used to prepare kadambu for me and I just love it. But I am not sure whether our children will ever get a chance of tasting this kadambu. If they get, I would say, they are really lucky. Though I have seen the recipe (without using the kadmbu paal/lactating milk) from net long before, I got chance to try this out last sunday.

The recipe calls for eggs to be added. But my mom would not eat eggs and mostly I try to avoid eggs in my recipes when it calls for egg. So here i used the egg replacer. It tasted great and took me to my childhood days in India.



Ingredients

  • Warm Milk - 2.5 cups
  • Egg replacer - 2 tsp ( if egg is used, add 2 eggs)
  • Condensed Milk - 1 can
  • Jaggery - 2 tsp
  • Pepper - 1 tsp
  • Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Pista - few (crushed)
  • Water - 2 tsp
  • Saffron strands - few


Method

  • Add the 2 tsp water to the egg replacer and beat until fluffy.
  • Now add the condensed milk, warm milk and Jaggery and mix well until the jaggery melts.
  • Add the pepper, cardamom, and pista mix
  • Now keep in a pressure cooker and without whistle pressure cook it for 40 min in medium flame.
  • Then remove from steam and cool it in fridge for atleast 1 hr.
  • Serve it by garnishing with saffrons.
  • Tasty Kadambu/Junnu is ready to eat.... 

This goes to my event - Dish Name Starts with J


15 lovely comments:

Vimitha Durai

Looks like a melt-in-the-mouth sweet. Yummy

Nitha

Looks yumm..

Suja Manoj

Totally drool worthy dessert..looks super yum

Binys Recipes

wow Akhila looks delicious....have heard abt the sweet but never tasted it....good u have replaced it with milk

Sobha Shyam

this is really new to me, junnu looks great and delicious,wonderful clicks, thanx for the visit to my space..

Torviewtoronto

this looks wonderful colourful

Lifewithspices

wow too good hv not tasted this looks grt n bookmarked!!

Priya Suresh

Well done, been ages i had them, love the way u prepared without eggs..

chaitrali pathak

this looks superbly delicious.....but didn't exactly understand what this is...is it something like "Kharvas" or is it Kharwas only...but whatever it is....looks yummylicious...would love to prepare this

GEETHA ACHAL

Love this kadum pal so much...Missed it a lot...Thanks for sharing...

divya

Looks excellent and fabulous..

Kalyan

this one looks so mouth-watering and easy to prepare...delicious!

Jayanthy Kumaran

fantabulous dessert Akila..
In my blog, a cute triple award is waiting for you..:)
love,
Jay
Tasty Appetite

chitraj.hegde

nice looking desseret..must have tasted yummy...

Sensible Vegetarian

Simply beautiful, looks delicious and very nice clicks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Wonderful Followers

Ads

Add to the circles

Learning-to-cook   © 2008-2015. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP  

//